Saturday, January 8, 2011

Art Journal: Marcel Proust had an haddock!

Temps Perdu
(Click on image to see larger size on Flickr)
Yes, three posts in one week! (I don't guarantee I can keep this up.) There's a great post on Art Journal Every Day this week about organizing your creative space. I mention this because when working on the above spread, a certain amount of time was spent trying to find a pair of scissors. (Honestly, they were here a minute ago - there are kazillion pairs in the house! How come I can't find one?)

This spread started with the photos of two women printed from the Ten Two Studios Edwardian Beauties image CD and some vintage French text from Marcel Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu (usually translated as Remembrance of Things Past in English or more literally, In Search of Lost Time).

So that sounds very literary and serious, doesn't it? But all my knowledge of Proust comes from two Monty Python skits, The All-England Summarize Proust Competition (warning - uncensored version ;o) and the Fish License sketch, which featured the line: "And Marcel Proust had an haddock!" So after laying down some layers of dots and fleur-du-lis-ish patterns, I used a hand-carved fish stamp with some bright red acrylic paint. There are also some lines I recalled from my high school French class. Mais oui! and the inexplicably oft-repeated C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la francaise! (That's life, that's war, that's French!). Allez-y! (Go on!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...