Sunday, November 2, 2014

Books Unbound II

Alice's Adventures (detail)
I just dropped off my pieces today for the show "Books Unbound II" by members of the Binders Guild book arts group here in Milwaukee. The show will be up November 9-30, 2014 at the Marian Gallery in Caroline Hall at Mount Mary University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There will be an opening reception on Friday, November 14, 2014 from 6-8 p.m. (See also my previous blog post.) There will be quite a variety of handmade books and other book-related art. We each had to do a 12x12" canvas around the theme of story-telling so I used a quote from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for my collage.
  Extensive Reading
We also each did an abecedarium or alphabet book. Mine is an accordion book "A to Z Tangles" with 2" square pages, each featuring a different handdrawn tangle pattern. The back of each page has the designer's name listed for each pattern. I had a lot of fun drawing these, but some letters it was difficult to choose just one pattern!
A to Z Tangles accordion book
 We also each did a piece inspired by the theme "Cabinet of Curiosities." For mine I added to an assemblage piece "Inexplicable Syncopation" that I had done in 2007 for a show at the Bay View Book Arts Gallery, because I had never felt that the piece was quite completed (and I still don't but I had a deadline).
Inexplicable Syncopation
You can see these and my other books on Flickr here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...