Thursday, October 29, 2009

Making a (Watchmaker Tin) Scene

Here's the second installment of my Raevn's Nest Art Retreat experience. On Friday night I took the "Make A Scene" workshop with Jill K. Berry, where we spent two crafty hours constructing mini-dioramas in watchmaker tins. Jill provided all the materials including images sized to fit the little metal tins. The garden scene above is about 2-3/4" while the haunted mansion below is 2" in diameter.

We staggered the layers with hidden beads, head pins trimmed to size, and the power of a high-heat glue gun! It was a little tricky getting everything into place before the glue cooled, but the results are so much fun! The tins do have clear glass lids, but they didn't photograph well with the lids on.
Hitchcockian Tin
You can see some of Jill's samples on her blog. My friend Mel also took this workshop and made a great George of the Jungle tin, which I hope she'll post a photo of! :D

4 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

VERY clever and wonderful. I can't imagine the patience needed to do such precise work, Carolyn. These are super! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Carolyn B said...

Thanks, Terri - it was made much easier by the fact that Jill provided us with images already sized to fit in a variety of themes including the Halloweenish haunted house and the garden scenes I used.

Carmi Cimicata said...

I really like how this turned out!

Carolyn B said...

Thanks, Carmi - I can't wait to see Mel's finished piece :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...