Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Intuitive Watercolor Faces

It's been over a month since my last post! I've been busy with work and had the bug that's going around (as has everyone in my office). SO ANYWAY, I did have time to make ATCs for the 10-Minute Intuitive Watercolor Faces Swap at Illustrated ATCs. This swap is hosted by Sal Scheibe, aka Amerasu, who wrote an article on this technique for the Winter 2010 issue of Art Trader Magazine. (Don't know about Art Trader? Check it out! It's a FREE digital 'zine about mail art!)
In theory, we spend ten minutes on each card, so three cards plus a host thank you card should take 40 minutes. In practice, I ended up making ten cards because this is an addictive technique! I got out the timer and the Twinkling H20s and sketched out five blobby faces in 30 minutes. So that's 6 minutes spent on each card, 4 minutes to go. After the watercolor dried, I added details with Pitt artist pens, some in black and some in sepia, and a bit of Souffle pen.

Then I had to do another set of five! (Did I mention this was addictive?) It was fun not knowing where the sketch would go. Some I really liked, and some were bleh. I do have a tendency to draw everyone with the same expression! Here are the 4 cards I'm sending in for the swap:
Square Peg Green Gil
Blue BelleGolden Girl
You can see all the cards I did here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy smokes, Carolyn, these are marvelous. Whenever I tried intuitive watercolor, I just wound up with blobs! :D I love these!

Terri Kahrs said...

Wow! They may have been quick, but they sure are beautiful! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Carolyn B said...

Thanks, Mel & Terri - this reminded me of the drawing exercises we used to have to do in college - every once in awhile when we were forced to hurry and draw something without thinking to hard about it, we got some good stuff (and stuff that looked like we just hurried ;o)

Unknown said...

WhAt kind of paints are the jars? I have never seen them

Carolyn B said...

Hi Barb - they are Twinkling H2O watercolors. Some scrapbook & craft stores sell them individually and some sell them in packs. They have a bit of sparkle in them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...