Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tackling UFOs

2009_365_040-41 Finishing UFOs
Note: if you're reading this in April 2009 for Fiber Arts Fridays, I'm afraid I had to dip into the archives since I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to work on any new fabric projects!

I've decided to finish some Unfinished Fabric Objects this month. When we moved house, I packed a box labeled "Fabric Projects In Progress" and tossed in a whole jumble of things. This week I pulled out my unfinished fabric house ornaments from Christmas 2007 and stitched, edged with variegated wool yarn and beribboned them for hanging. They are raw-edge fused applique using scraps of my hand-painted fabric + a few commercial prints. I had made them for prezzies and also put some on consignment at the Bay View Book Arts Gallery. If I ever get my Etsy shop open I'll probably post some of these. (April 2009 update - did finally open an Etsy shop in March - woohoo!)

I also wrestled a binding on to my dad's quilt (which he has been given several Christmases in a row with the words "But you have to give it back because it's not finished yet"). I found some excellent instructions for joining the ends at the Dread Pirate Rodgers' quilt site. Now I just have to make and sew on the label.
2009_365_041  Binding Dad's quilt

And before Sunday, I really need to baste my purple & blue English paper piecing quilt that's been sitting neglected for two years. Sunday is the annual Daytona 500 party at our friends' house to which I usually bring a craft project to occupy myself while the cars go around in circles.
P7100053 English Paper-Piecing by Hand
Crafting 365, Days 40-41

8 comments:

shirley said...

"UFO" too cute and true on my end also! Love your little houses and the quilt is beautiful!!
Hugs
Shirl

vintagepix said...

Thanks, Shirl. I'm sure it's true of a lot of us crafters that if we were to try to finish all our unfinished projects, we'd never have time to start anything new ;o)

Rosie said...

Love those little houses!! I want to make some fabric inchies with scraps... so thank you too, for the link to Dread Pirate - extremely useful to a beginner!!

vintagepix said...

Thanks, Rosie - I've been wanting to make fabric inchies too - can't wait to see yours (So many projects, so little time). I love the Dread Pirate site - very distracting!

MarysMadness said...

I love the houses! Too cute! What a great way to use your scraps!

vintagepix said...

Thanks, Mary - In your What's in Your Drawers poll, I did confess that I saved everything in sight!
;o)

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Love UFO's - what a great term! Will have to remember that. Dad's quilt is lovely too. Thanks for participating in Fiber Arts Fridays!

vintagepix said...

Thanks, Terri - I guess UFO can be more broadly defined as Unfinished Fiber Object :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...