Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Late Weekend Update

IMG_6400IMG_6441 Area 51
I meant to post on Sunday about my adventures on Saturday, but woke up at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday with a sore throat. Since I couldn't get to sleep, I turned on my computer about 6 a.m. and started editing and uploading photos I took on Sat., which meant around lunch time I completely crashed and fell asleep on the couch and was pretty much useless the rest of Sunday!
IMG_6402
On Sat. from 12:30-3 p.m. I was at the Milwaukee ATC group's March meeting. We met at Art'n'Oddities, which started out as an appliance store, but slowly morphed into an art store as the wife took over more and more space from the husband. Lots of fun and colorful art by a variety of artists. The owner Meri Berghauer, among many other things, is a children's book illustrator and creates fiberglass dog sculptures called Bowzrz. (The colorful giraffe above is her work.)
IMG_6392
We had about 25 people trading, and our monthly theme was "I'm Game." Some of our members post on Flickr so you can see their cards in the group's Flickr pool. (I'm still working on convincing more folks to get on-line ;o)
IMG_6449 Rusty Eyes
Then several of us went off to the Cream City::Milwaukee Flickr group's monthly photowalk. I don't know what local Flickr groups are like in other parts of the world, but the Milwaukee group is very friendly, and the pros are generally willing to answer questions from people like me who tend to just point and shoot and hope for the best. Also I would feel very self-conscious walking around by myself taking photos, but when you're travelling with a pack who think it's perfectly normal to photograph random signs and rusty things, it's a lot of fun (and probably safer too).
IMG_6409x Flickrites at play
The best part is seeing what everyone else photographed because some people appear to have gone on a completely different walk than I did, or they'll photograph the same thing in a completely different way. Here's my photowalk set, some of which I've already resized to use somehow for the April ATC theme "Altered Photographs."

And here are the "art supplies" I collected on the walk.
2009_365_080 Gathering art supplies
Crafting 365, Day 80

5 comments:

Mixing-Katie said...

You found awesome stuff!

Have you really been to area 51??

Terri Kahrs said...

WOW! What a great weekend! Thank you, thank you for letting us share the fun! Hugs! xoxoxo

Carolyn B said...

@Katie - only if Area 51 has been relocated to a very green house in Milwaukee :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagepix/3375020041
@Terri - glad you enjoyed it (cuz my life isn't usually that exciting :D)

Juana said...

Seems you had a lot of fun! And your "art supplies" are awesome!

Carolyn B said...

Thanks, Juanita - haven't made use of them yet... :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...