Thursday, March 5, 2009

What's in Your Drawers?

MarysMadness has started a blog called What's In Your Drawers for those of us who love looking at other people's art spaces and supplies. Of course, in my workspace, it's more like "What's not in your drawers?"

Here is our dining room table covered with my stuff. Most of it should be in that cabinet in the back corner, but I'm an "everything out" person. (I read this in an an organizing book, so it must be true.) I like to have everything where I can see it. Things in drawers get forgotten! I also tend to remember where things are in relation to other things stacked around it, so if anyone moves my stuff, I can't find it! Pity my poor husband (though his domain in the garage doesn't look much better) or my poor grad school roommate who was a "nothing out" person.

So I have tried to become more organized, buying clear plastic bins and labelling things, but when I work, everything comes back out again and is spread out over every available flat surface! This week, I tried to put some stuff away. Here's my dining room cabinet looking somewhat organized. About ten minutes after I took that photo, I was already pulling bins back out again.

I love the idea of storing my supplies in fabulous vintage tins and jars and having color coordinated baskets and a wall covered with art inspiration and peg board for tools, but until then here's a staged photo of my organizational microprogress. Vintage tins filled with bottle caps! Wooden bingo counters! An antique strainer filled with Altoid tins and random round things! Enjoy!
IMG_6307 Round things

4 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

OMG! I's so happy to know that I'm not alone in taking up "family" space"! I now have a great space to work in, but I still LOVE my kitchen table. As far as keeping my studio neat . . . it's neat until I start a project and then it all hits the proverbial fan!

Really enjoyed this post because I can totally relate!
Hugs,
Terri :)

Carolyn B said...

Yes, Terri! And I know it's not just us! I see work space photos on Flickr and hear stories on various art sites talking about the same *er* "process" so we are not alone! :D

PaMdora said...

oh my, I have ooddles and ooddles of stuff like this, and can never figure out what to do with it all!

Carolyn B said...

Well, Pam, here's what I do with my stuff - take it out every so often and fondle it - think "I should really do something with these" while thinking of all the brilliant ideas that I still haven't got around to implementing - then put them away again. And THEN when I actually want to use them, I won't remember where I put them ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...