Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Walk Like an Egyptian

Cleopatra, or Land of Denial
Cleopatra, or Land of Denial


Rose Eytinge
Originally uploaded by libraryimages.net
Every once in awhile unrelated projects cross paths or intersect in some strange way. Over a week ago, I happened to be researching the family name Eytinge (no relation to me but it ties in with a history project I've had on the back burner for several years) and came across this print of actress Rose Eytinge on Flickr. As soon as I saw it, I realized I had seen her before in the Ten Two Studios Vaudeville Women faux postage set. So this was tucked away in my brain when I saw that this week's Make It Mondays theme was Egypt.

Rose was known for her portrayal of Cleopatra and had actually lived in Egypt for a time. I'm certain this print showed her in that role, given the hieroglyphics and Egyptian architecture in the background and the pseudo-Middle Eastern costume. So Rose's faux postage stamp had to be the central image on my ATC. Because the theme for the Milwaukee ATC group's January meeting is "By Definition," I added a dictionary entry that applied to Cleopatra: "ambition." At Clip Art, ETC, I found the hieroglyphics for Cleo's name and some other Egyptian motifs for my background. All these elements combined make my first ever Egyptian-themed ATC!

3 comments:

John Dyhouse said...

Beautiful atc

and I love to hear about the why or how an atc is made. Adds such a lot of interest

Carolyn B said...

Thanks, John - I just checked out your digital collages for MIM - very cool!

SueHart said...

Stunning ATC. Love the story behind it too. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...